AN12-1: Pressure Port Oil Refill Procedure and Nylon Capillary Fitting Replacement
This Application Note describes the refilling of the pressure capillary tube and replacement of the nylon pressure capillary fitting for the following instruments:
- SBE 9, 16, 19, 25, and 29
- SBE 16plus, 16plus-IM, 16plus V2, 16plus-IM V2, and 19plus V2 when equipped with a Digiquartz pressure sensor
Note: The nylon pressure capillary fitting — which includes a pressure port fitting and an external capillary tube — is filled with silicone oil. The oil transmits hydrostatic pressure via internal, stainless steel, capillary tubing to the pressure sensor inside the instrument, and prevents corrosion that might occur if the sensor diaphragm was exposed to water. The internal tubing and nylon capillary fitting are vacuum back-filled at the factory. Because of the viscosity of the silicone oil and capillary action, the silicone oil does not run out of the external capillary tube. However, due to temperature and pressure cycling over long periods, it is normal for some oil to slowly leak out of the external capillary tube. When the oil is not visible or is receding inside the translucent tube, or if the fitting has been damaged, refill the oil.
Prepare P/N 50025 Pressure Sensor Oil Refill Kit
|30419||Syringe for injecting DC-30||1|
|30420||Needle (21 gauge) for syringe||1|
|30421||76 m (3 inch) long FEP tubing (1/32 inch I.D.; 1/16 inch O.D.), to place on end of syringe needle||1|
|30410||Dow Corning DC-200 oil (20 centistokes viscosity)||1 ounce|
|30422||Bottle for 30410 oil||1|
To replace the needle (if necessary):
- Use a 21-gauge surgical needle, minimum 25 mm (1 inch) long.
- Grind off the tip so the needle is no longer sharp.
- Remove any burrs.
- Verify that the needle still has a hole through it.
- Screw-lock the needle into place on the syringe.
Remove Nylon Capillary Fitting and Refill Pressure Sensor Capillary with Oil
Application Note Revision History
|September 2001||Revise, add pictures.|
|September 2008||Add applicability to 16plus, 16plus-IM, 16plus-IM V2, and 19plus V2 when equipped with Digiquartz pressure sensor.|
- SBE 16 SeaCAT C-T (P) Recorder - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 16plus SeaCAT C-T (P) Recorder - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 16plus V2 SeaCAT C-T (P) Recorder
- SBE 16plus-IM SeaCAT C-T (P) Recorder - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 16plus-IM V2 SeaCAT C-T (P) Recorder
- SBE 19 SeaCAT Profiler CTD - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 19plus SeaCAT Profiler CTD - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 19plus V2 SeaCAT Profiler CTD
- SBE 21 SeaCAT Thermosalinograph
- SBE 25 Sealogger CTD - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 29 Strain-Gauge Pressure Sensor
- SBE 911plus CTD