AN68: Using USB Ports to Communicate with Sea-Bird Instruments
Most Sea-Bird instruments use the RS-232 protocol for transmitting setup commands to the instrument and receiving data from the instrument. However, many newer PCs and laptop computers have USB port(s) instead of RS-232 serial port(s).
USB serial adapters are available commercially. These adapters plug into the USB port, and allow one or more serial devices to be connected through the adapter. Sea-Bird tested USB serial adapters from several manufacturers on computers at Sea-Bird, and verified compatibility with our instruments. These manufacturers and the tested adapters are:
- FTDI (www.ftdichip.com) —
"ChiPi" USB-RS232 Converter (model # FTDI UC232R-10).
Note: This adapter can also be purchased from Sea-Bird, as Sea-Bird part # 20200.
Drivers for this adapter can be found at www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.
- IOGEAR (www.iogear.com) —
USB 1.1 to Serial Converter Cable (model # GUC232A).
Note: We have had several reports from customers that they could not communicate with their instrument using a laptop computer and this adapter.
- TrippLite (www.tripplite.com) —
USB 4-Port Serial Adapter (part # USA-49WG, replacing Keyspan part # USA-49WLC).
Note: We have one report from a customer that he could not communicate with his instrument using a notebook computer and this adapter. He was able to successfully communicate with the instrument using an XH8290 DSE Serial USB Adapter (www.dse.co.nz).
- Edgeport (www.ionetworks.com) —
Standard Serial Converter Edgeport/2 (part # 301-1000-02)
Other USB adapters from these manufacturers, and adapters from other manufacturers, may also be compatible with Sea-Bird instruments.
We recommend testing any adapters, including those listed above, with the instrument and the computer you will use it with before deployment, to verify that there is no problem.
Note: See Application Note 56: Interfacing to RS-485 Sensors for information on using a USB port to communicate with a Sea-Bird instrument that communicates via RS-485 telemetry.
Application Note Revision History
|April 2002||Initial release.|
|March 2004||Add information on additional supplier (IOGEAR) of USB adapters.|
|June 2004||Update Keyspan adapter part number , and provide Sea-Bird part number for IOGEAR adapter that we are stocking and selling.|
|November 2006||Add caution to test instrument with computer you will be using and adapter prior to deployment, prompted by unsuccessful use of one of our recommended adapters with a notebook computer. Add information about SSE adapter used successfully with that computer.|
|June 2009||Update recommended adapter from IOGEAR GUC232A (PN20163) to FTDI UC232R-10 (PN20200). Some PCs have problems with the IOGEAR; FTDI works fine.|
|October 2012||Update Keyspan link (now Tripp Lite) and product # (USA-49WG instead of 49WLC).|
- Carousel Auto Fire Module (AFM)
- Glider Payload CTD (GPCTD)
- SBE 14 Remote Depth Readout
- SBE 16 SeaCAT C-T (P) Recorder - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 16plus SeaCAT C-T (P) Recorder - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 16plus V2 SeaCAT C-T (P) Recorder
- SBE 17plus V2 Searam Recorder & Auto Fire Module
- SBE 19 SeaCAT Profiler CTD - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 19plus SeaCAT Profiler CTD - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 19plus V2 SeaCAT Profiler CTD
- SBE 21 SeaCAT Thermosalinograph
- SBE 25 Sealogger CTD - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 25plus Sealogger CTD
- SBE 26 Seagauge Wave & Tide Recorder - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 26plus Seagauge Wave & Tide Recorder
- SBE 33 Carousel Deck Unit
- SBE 35 Deep Ocean Standards Thermometer
- SBE 35RT Digital Reversing Thermometer
- SBE 36 CTD Deck Unit & PDIM (Power Data Interface Module)
- SBE 37-SI MicroCAT C-T (P) Recorder
- SBE 37-SIP MicroCAT C-T (P) Recorder
- SBE 37-SIP-IDO MicroCAT C-T-DO (P) Sensor
- SBE 37-SIP-ODO MicroCAT C-T-DO (P) Sensor
- SBE 37-SM MicroCAT C-T (P) Recorder
- SBE 37-SMP MicroCAT C-T (P) Recorder
- SBE 37-SMP-IDO MicroCAT C-T-DO (P) Recorder - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 37-SMP-ODO MicroCAT C-T-ODO (P) Recorder
- SBE 38 Digital Oceanographic Thermometer
- SBE 39 Temperature (P) Recorder - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 39plus Temperature (P) Recorder
- SBE 45 MicroTSG Thermosalinograph
- SBE 46 LCD Display Box - DISCONTINUED
- SBE 48 Hull Temperature Sensor
- SBE 49 FastCAT CTD Sensor
- SBE 50 Digital Oceanographic Pressure Sensor
- SBE 52-MP Moored Profiler CTD & (optional) Dissolved Oxygen Sensor
- SBE 53 BPR Bottom Pressure Recorder
- SBE 54 Tsunameter Tsunami Pressure Sensor
- SBE 55 ECO Water Sampler
- SBE 63 Optical Dissolved Oxygen (DO) Sensor
- SBE 911plus CTD
- Slocum Glider Payload CTD
- Surface Inductive Modem (SIM)