Field Service Bulletin 28: SBE 39plus / SBE 56 USB Connectivity Problem
This field service bulletin applies to all SBE 39plus Temperature (pressure optional) Recorders and SBE 56 Temperature Loggers. Note that it does not affect RS-232 communications with the SBE 39plus, and does not apply to older SBE 39 (non-plus) instruments.
Description of Problem
These instruments, which rely on USB for programming and data handling, are experiencing intermittent connectivity issues where the host computer or SeatermV2 software cannot recognize a connected instrument. This problem is most common when connecting the instrument to the computer for the first time. In some cases, this problem can occur even when the device shows in Windows Device Manager on the host computer and the USB green indicator light activates on the instrument. This failure to communicate is typically caused by one or both of the following problems:
- Non-optimal drivers installed with SeatermV2 version 2.4.1 or earlier, or with Seasoft V2 versions dated September 2014 or earlier.
- Issues related to the host computer’s Java installation. Java for Windows, Version 8, 64-bit will not work with the software.
- If applicable, uninstall from your computer all existing versions of Seasoft V2 and/or Seaterm V2, using Windows uninstaller.
- Install the latest version of Seasoft V2 from our website:
- Go to www.seabird.com/software/software and click on the Download tab.
- Click on SeasoftAndSeasoftWaves.zip to download it.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- Double click on SeasoftV2.exe to install it. Follow the instructions to install the software.
- Connect your instrument to the computer via its internal USB connector and the supplied USB cable.
- Double click on SeatermV2.exe to start Seaterm V2.
- In the Instruments menu, select your instrument (SBE 39plus USB or SBE 56 Temperature Logger, as applicable).
- If the software connects to your instrument, the new software installation solved the problem.
- If the software does not connect to your instrument, there may be a problem with the Java installation. Java for Windows, Version 8, 32-bit is recommended for use with SeatermV2 (the 64-bit version will not work). Check the version of Java on your computer.
- If it is anything other than Java for Windows, Version 8, 32-bit, or if multiple Java versions are installed, uninstall all versions using Windows uninstaller. Then download and install Java for Windows, Version 8, 32-bit from Java’s website (https://java.com/en/download/ie_manual.jsp). Repeat Steps 4 through 6.
- If Java for Windows, Version 8, 32-bit is already installed on your computer (and no other Java versions are installed), contact Sea-Bird (firstname.lastname@example.org).