Sea-Bird manufactures several types of Interface Box, designed for use with specific products and for specific applications. Depending on application, an Interface Box includes a combination of the following functions:
- RS-232 to RS-232 junction.
- Optical-isolation — protects the CTD from electrical noise and possible accelerated corrosion caused by ground loop current. This may be necessary for applications where real-time data is transmitted to the ship or the instrument is powered from the ship. Some Sea-Bird instruments (such as the SBE 25) include internal opto-isolation, and therefore do not require an Interface Box for optical isolation.
- NMEA Interface — interfaces with a navigation system to append latitude, longitude, and time data to the CTD data stream.
- Remote Temperature Interface — interfaces with a remote temperature sensor to append remote temperature data to the CTD data stream.
- AC to DC Power — converts AC power to DC power appropriate for the instrument.
- DC to DC Power — converts DC power to DC power appropriate for the instrument.
All of our interface boxes have a five-year limited warranty.
An Interface Box comes standard with the following instruments:
|SBE 21 SeaCAT Thermosalinograph||PN 90488.2 — SeaCAT/Sealogger RS-232 & Navigation Interface Box, AC-powered|
|SBE 35 Deep Ocean Standards Thermometer||PN 90248 Power Supply & Interface Box|
An Interface Box may be used with the following instruments:
Two models are available:
|SBE 17plus V2 Searam Recorder & Auto Fire Module||PN 90488.2 — SeaCAT/Sealogger RS-232 & Navigation Interface Box, AC-powered
(external power, permitting setup and data upload without use of battery capacity)
|SBE 35RT Digital Reversing Thermometer||PN 90248 Power Supply and Interface Box|
|SBE 45 MicroTSG||PN 90402 — SBE 45 Power, Navigation, and Remote Temperature Interface Box|
Consult Sea-Bird with your application details.
|Title||Type||Publication Date||PDF File|
|Interface Boxes Brochure||Product Brochure||Monday, August 31, 2015||OptoBoxbrochureAug15.pdf|
|SeaCAT/Sealogger Interface Box||Product Manual||Wednesday, June 15, 2016||NMEAInterfaceBox_018.pdf|
|SBE 45 Interface Box Manual||Product Manual||Wednesday, June 29, 2016||90402_SBE45InterfaceBox_011.pdf|
|Field Service Bulletin 16: Deck Unit and Interface Box Update for Newer NMEA Devices||Field Service Bulletins||Monday, March 8, 2010||FSB16RevMar2009.pdf|
|Field Service Bulletin 1: Opto-Isolated Junction Box Product Recall||Field Service Bulletins||Monday, March 8, 2010||FSB1.pdf|
Many cables, mount kits, and spare parts can be ordered online.
Cables for 90488.2, 90545, 90158.1, or 90204 Interface Box
- 80437 To CTD (RMG connector), 2.5 m, DN 31063
- 80438 To CTD (RMG connector), 10 m, DN 31063
- part # varies with length, To CTD (RMG connector), load-bearing cable, DN 32821
- 171887 To computer COM port, 3 m
- 801424 To NMEA simulation computer COM port (from Interface Box NMEA Input), 1.8 m, DN 32787
- These Interface Boxes are for use with SBE 16, 16plus, 16plus V2, 17plus V2, 19, 19plus, 19plus V2, 21, 25, or 25plus.
- For CTDs with 6-pin Data I/O, Pump, and External Power connector, interface box cable connects to 4-pin leg of Y-cable.
- PN 90488.2 is current AC-powered Interface Box; PN 90158.1 is an older AC-powered Interface Box.
- PN 90545 is current DC-powered Interface Box; PN 90204 is an older DC-powered Interface Box.