SBE 33 Carousel Deck Unit
The rack-mountable SBE 33 provides surface power and real-time data acquisition and control for an SBE 32 Carousel Water Sampler (can close up to 24 bottles) with SBE 33 interface installed, or for the smaller SBE 55 ECO Water Sampler. When powered and controlled by the SBE 33, the water sampler can be used with an SBE 19, 19plus, 19plus V2, 25, 25plus, or 49 CTD, or without a CTD. The system provides real-time data telemetry and surface power for the CTD, and permits water sampler control with the SBE 33 front panel buttons or via our Seasave software.
The SBE 33 can also be used with a Power & Data Interface Module (PDIM) when a water sampler is not needed. The PDIM provides the same power and CTD data interface functionality as the water sampler, but without water sampling capability.
- Surface power and real-time data acquisition and control for Sea-Bird water samplers and CTDs; two-way communication over single- or multi-conductor sea cable, and ample power for auxiliary sensors integrated with the CTD.
- Bottles fired sequentially or in any order; front-panel LED display indicates which bottles have been fired.
- NMEA and Surface PAR interfaces; decoded latitude and longitude, and Surface PAR data, appended to CTD data in
- SBE 33, and passed to computer for storage and/or display with CTD data.
- Seasoft© V2 Windows software package (setup, real-time data acquisition, data processing).
- Five-year limited warranty.
- 120, 240, or EU 240 VAC power input.
- XSG or wet-pluggable MCBH connectors for cable connection to water sampler.
- Other system components / accessories (order separately): Water Sampler (SBE 32 or SBE 55); PDIM for real-time data acquisition without a water sampler; CTD; Surface PAR sensor.
|Input Power||120 VAC at 60 Hz and 1.75A or 240 VAC at 50 Hz and 1A (switchable)|
|Cable Compatibility||Single / multi-core armored cable up to 10 km long with inner core resistance up to 350 ohms and armor used as return|
|Water Sampler Compatibility||SBE 32 Carousel (any size; if using with 36-bottle Carousel, can only close 24 bottles)
SBE 55 ECO Water Sampler
|Auxiliary Sensor Power||Approximately 1 Amp, in addition to CTD power, is available at CTD for support of auxiliary sensors|
|Surface PAR||12 V output to power Surface PAR sensor (sensor can be ordered from Sea-Bird)|
|NMEA||Support for NMEA 0183 protocol (NMEA device not supplied by Sea-Bird)|
|Dimensions||Cabinet with electronics rack mounting bracket; mount holes center to center 464 mm (18.25 in.).
Dimensions 86 high x 444 wide x 375 mm deep (3.4 x 17.5 x 14.75 in.);
Feet add 13 mm (0.5 in.) to height;
mount ears add 38 mm (1.5 in.) to width
1. DPSK = differential phase shift keyed, FSK = frequency shift keyed.
2. Seasave also supports acquisition of data from a NMEA device connected directly to the computer.
FRONT AND BACK PANELS
|Title||Type||Publication Date||PDF File|
|SBE 33 Brochure||Product Brochure||Monday, May 16, 2016||33brochureMay16.pdf|
|SBE 33 Manual||Product Manual||Monday, May 16, 2016||33_015.pdf|
|Seasave V7 Manual||Software Manual||Thursday, May 26, 2016||Seasave_7.26.0.pdf|
|SBE Data Processing Manual||Software Manual||Thursday, May 26, 2016||SBEDataProcessing_7.26.0.pdf|
|Field Service Bulletin 16: Deck Unit and Interface Box Update for Newer NMEA Devices||Field Service Bulletins||Monday, March 8, 2010||FSB16RevMar2009.pdf|
|Seasave V7 Quick Guide||Software Quick Guide||Tuesday, August 3, 2010||Seasave_ReferenceSheet_001.pdf|
|AN47: Using Biospherical Surface PAR Light Sensor with SBE 33 or SBE 36 Deck Unit||Application Notes||Friday, February 21, 2014||appnote47Mar14.pdf|
|AN68: Using USB Ports to Communicate with Sea-Bird Instruments||Application Notes||Friday, October 19, 2012||appnote68Oct12.pdf|
|Family||.||Power||Water Sampler Connectors (for test cable)|
|33||.||1 – 120 VAC||1 – XSG/AG|
|2 – 240 VAC||2 – MCBH|
|2 – EU 240 VAC|
Example: 33.12 is an SBE 33 with 120 VAC power input and test cable for water sampler with MCBH connectors. See table below for description of each selection:
CAROUSEL DECK UNIT - Provides sea cable telemetry for real-time Carousel operation with SBE 19/19plus/19plusV2/25/25plus or stand alone use without CTD. 120/240 VAC, rack-mountable. Includes A/D voltage input channel for surface PAR sensor (QSR/QCR-2200 - PAR sensor and cable not included), NMEA 0183 GPS interface, AC power cord, serial data cable, water sampler test cable, NMEA interface test cable, and Seasoft software and complete documentation. (Note: SBE 33 is not required when SBE 32 is used with 911plus).
SBE 33 provides real-time data acquisition & water sampler control for SBE 19, 19plus, 19plus V2, 25, 25plus, or 49 CTD with SBE 32 Carousel Water Sampler, or water sampler control for Carousel without CTD. SBE 32 Carousel Water Sampler (SBE 32, 32C, or 32SC) requires sea-cable/serial data interface 32P.xxx1 for these applications. Limited to closing 24 bottles.
SBE 33 also provides real-time data acquisition & water sampler control for SBE 19, 19plus, 19plus V2, 25, 25plus, or 49 CTD with SBE 55 ECO Water Sampler, or water sampler control for ECO without CTD.
|SBE 33 Power Selections — MUST SELECT ONE|
|33.3x||EU 240 VAC|
|SBE 33 Water Sampler Connector (for test cable) Selections — MUST SELECT ONE|
|33.x1||For water sampler with XSG/AG connectors||
Wet-pluggable connectors may be mated in wet conditions. Their pins do not need to be dried before mating. By design, water on connector pins is forced out as connector is mated. However, they must not be mated or un-mated while submerged. Wet-pluggable connectors have a non-conducting guide pin to assist pin alignment & require less force to mate, making them easier to mate reliably under dark or cold conditions, compared to XSG/AG connectors. Like XSG/AG connectors, wet-pluggables need proper lubrication & require care during use to avoid trapping water in sockets.
|33.x2||For water sampler with Wet-pluggable (MCBH) connectors|
|SBE 33 Real-Time Data Acquisition without a Water Sampler Options|
|PDIM.11||Underwater Power & Data Interface Module (PDIM), with XSG connectors, used with SBE 36/33 & CTD, 6800 m (does not include CTD interface cable or mounting hardware; ordered separately)||PDIM can be used with SBE 33 when CTD is used without an SBE 32 Carousel Water Sampler, to provide same power and data interface functionality as SBE 32 Carousel Water Sampler.
PDIM housing is anodized aluminum, & is rated to 6800 m. PDIM order includes sea cable extension cable & pigtail cable, dummy plugs, & jackscrew kit. To order PDIM mount kit & CTD interface cable, see SBE 36.
PDIM connector type (XSG or Wet-pluggable) must match CTD connector type.
|PDIM.12||Underwater Power & Data Interface Module (PDIM), with Wet-pluggable connectors, used with SBE 36/33 & CTD, 6800 m (does not include CTD interface cable or mounting hardware; ordered separately)|
|SBE 33 Spares & Accessories|
|17556||Deck Unit signal input cable (from slip rings to Deck Unit), 10 m (DN 31371)||Pigtail connects Sea Cable on SBE 33 to slip rings.|
|17557||Deck Unit signal input cable (from slip rings to Deck Unit), 20 m (DN 31371)|
|17841||Deck Unit signal input cable (from slip rings to Deck Unit), 30 m (DN 31371)|
|17912||Deck Unit signal input cable (from slip rings to Deck Unit), 50 m (DN 31371)|
|80915||Test cable, 11/33/36 deck unit to 9/32/PDIM, RMG connector, 10 m (DN 31314)||Connects Sea Cable on SBE 33 to Carousel or ECO for testing. Cable included with standard shipment; this is spare.|
|801587||Test cable, 11/33/36 deck unit to 9/32/PDIM, Wet-pluggable MCIL connector, 10 m (DN 32695)|
|801422||NMEA test cable, DB-9S to MS3106A, SBE 11p/33/36/45, 1.8 m (DN 32786)||Connects NMEA Input on SBE 33 to computer simulating NMEA input for testing SBE 33 NMEA interface. NMEA simulation program, NMEATest, is part of Seasoft software, & is installed when you install SBE Data Processing. Cable included with standard shipment; this is spare.|
|171887||RS-232 serial cable, DB-9F to DB-9M, 3 m (171887)||Connects Serial Data & Carousel Data on SBE 33 to computer COM ports. Two cables included with standard shipment; this is spare.|
|801367||Cable, QSR/QCR-2200 SPAR to Deck Unit, 15 m (DN 32704)||Connects PAR Input on SBE 33 to Surface PAR sensor.|
|801368||Cable, QSR/QCR-2200 SPAR to Deck Unit, 30 m (DN 32704)|
|17015||AC power cord (US Standard), 2 m||One of these power cords is included with standard shipment; these are spares.|
|17824||AC power cord (European plug), 2 m|
- To computer COM port (from SBE 33 Serial Data or Carousel Data), part #171886 (3 m) — SBE 33 with firmware < 3.0 (25-pin connector on SBE 33)
- 171887 To computer COM port (from SBE 33 Serial Data or Carousel Data), 3 m — SBE 33 with firmware > 3.0 (9-pin connector on SBE 33)
- 17015 To AC power supply (U.S. Standard)
- 17824 To AC power supply (European plug)
- 80915 To SBE 32 or 55 Water Sampler (with XSG connector) (test cable) (from SBE 33 Sea Cable), 10 m, DN 31314
- 801587 To SBE 32 or 55 Water Sampler (with Wet-pluggable connectors) (test cable) (from SBE 33 Sea Cable), 10 m, DN 32695
- part # varies depending on length, To slip ring (from SBE 33 Sea Cable), DN 31371
- 801422 To NMEA simulation computer COM port (from SBE 33 NMEA Input), 1.8 m, DN 32786
- 801367 To Surface PAR QSR-2200 or QCR-2200 with Switchcraft connector (from SBE 33 PAR Input), 15 m, DN 32704
- 80665 To Surface PAR QSR-240 or QCR-240 with Bendix connector (from SBE 33 PAR Input), 30 m, DN 31475
- 801238 To Surface PAR QSR-240 or -2200 or QCR-240 or -2200 with Lemo connector (from SBE 33 PAR Input), 30 m, DN 32434
Mounted to Electronics Rack
- 30617 Deck unit rack mount ear kit (document 67059)