SBE 5M Miniature Pump
The SBE 5M Mini Submersible Pump is a modular component used on several Sea-Bird CTD packages. The highly reliable pump flushes water through the conductivity cell at a constant rate, independent of the CTD’s motion, improving dynamic performance. The SBE 5M is standard on the SBE 19plus V2 SeaCAT Profiler CTD, and is optional on the SBE 16plus V2 and 16plus-IM V2 SeaCAT CT(D) Recorders. For applications requiring pumping through additional sensors (for example, a dissolved oxygen sensor), use the SBE 5T or 5P pump instead.
The SBE 5M may also be suitable for custom applications.
- Centrifugal pump head.
- Long-life, DC, ball-bearing motor.
- Pump impeller and electric drive motor coupled magnetically through housing, providing high reliability by eliminating moving seals.
- Motor speed and pumping rate remain constant over entire input voltage range.
- Motor drive electronics intrinsically protected against accidental reversed polarity.
- Depths to 600 or 10,500 m.
- Five-year limited warranty.
- Profiling (continuous duty) or moored (pulsed duty) applications.
- Plastic (600 m) or titanium (10,500 m) housing.
- XSG or wet-pluggable MCBH connector.
|5M.xx1x (pulsed duty for moored instruments)||Input voltage range 6 - 18 VDC.
Pulse Duration Flow Volume Electrical Charge *
0.5 sec 14 ml 0.018 Amp-sec
1.0 sec 27 ml 0.040 Amp-sec
1.5 sec 40 ml 0.062 Amp-sec
2.0 sec 53 ml 0.085 Amp-sec
* Measured with 10 V input power.
|5M.xx2x (continuous duty for profiling instruments)||Input voltage range 9 - 18 VDC.
Flow Rate 25 ml/s.
Supply current 95 mA.
|Plastic housing, 600 m||Weight in air 0.3 kg, in water 0.1 kg|
|Titanium housing, 10,500 m||Weight in air 0.4 kg, in water 0.3 kg|
|Title||Type||Publication Date||PDF File|
|SBE 5M Brochure||Product Brochure||Wednesday, June 15, 2016||05MbrochureJun16.pdf|
|AN57: Connector Care and Cable Installation||Application Notes||Tuesday, May 13, 2014||appnote57Jan14.pdf|
|AN75: Maintenance of SBE 5T, 5P, and 5M Pumps||Application Notes||Wednesday, June 22, 2016||appnote75Jun16.pdf|
What are the recommended practices for connectors - mating and unmating, cleaning corrosion, and replacing?
Mating and Unmating Connectors:
It is important to prepare and mate connectors correctly, both in terms of the costs to repair them and to preserve data quality. Leaking connectors cause noisy data and even potential system shutdowns. Application Note 57: Connector Care and Cable Installation describes the proper care and installation of connectors for Sea-Bird instruments. The Application Note covers connector cleaning and cable or dummy plug installation, locking sleeve installation, and cold weather tips.
Checking for Leakage and Cleaning Corrosion on Connectors:
If there has been leakage, it will show up as green-colored corrosion product. Performing the following steps can usually reverse the effect of the leak:
- Thoroughly clean the connector with water, followed by alcohol.
- Give the connector surfaces a light coating of silicon grease.
Re-mate the connectors properly — see Application Note 57: Connector Care and Cable Installation and 9-minute video covering O-ring, connector, and cable maintenance.
- The main concern when replacing a bulkhead connector is that the o-rings on the connector and end cap must be prepared and installed correctly; if they are not, the instrument will flood. See the question below for general procedure on handling o-rings.
- Use a thread-locking compound on the connector threads to prevent the new connector from loosening, which could also lead to flooding.
- If the cell guard must be removed to open the instrument, take extra care not to break the glass conductivity cell.
|05||M||.||1 – 600 m (plastic)||1 – XSG||1 – Pulsed||x|
|2 – 10,500 m (titanium)||2 – MCBH||2 – Continuous|
Example: 05M.112x is an SBE 5M with 600 m housing, XSG connector, and continuous duty. See table below for description of each selection:
|5M||Miniature Submersible Pump - Centrifugal impeller, brush DC motor. Includes complete documentation.||SBE 5M is standard pump supplied with SBE 19plus V2 CTD or optionally with 16plus V2 or 16plus-IM V2 to provide pumped conductivity.
If system includes dissolved oxygen &/or other pumped sensors, order more powerful SBE 5T or 5P (10,500 m titanium housing or 600 m plastic housing, respectively) instead.
|SBE 5M Housing (Depth) Selections Option — MUST SELECT ONE|
|05M.1xxx||600 m plastic housing|
|05M.2xxx||10,500 m titanium housing|
|SBE 5M Connector Selections — MUST SELECT ONE|
Wet-pluggable connectors may be mated in wet conditions. Their pins do not need to be dried before mating. By design, water on connector pins is forced out as connector is mated. However, they must not be mated or un-mated while submerged. Wet-pluggable connectors have a non-conducting guide pin to assist pin alignment & require less force to mate, making them easier to mate reliably under dark or cold conditions, compared to XSG/AG connectors. Like XSG/AG connectors, wet-pluggables need proper lubrication & require care during use to avoid trapping water in sockets.
|05M.x2xx||Wet-pluggable (MCBH) connector|
|SBE 5M Duty Selections — MUST SELECT ONE|
|05M.xx1x||For use with SBE 16/16plus/16plus V2 (powered off between samples)||For 16/16plus/16plus-IM/16plus V2/16plus-IM V2, pump runs for 0.5 sec or more (depending on user setup) for each sample, & turns off between samples. SBE 16 family CTDs are integrated with SBE 5M with this Duty selection.|
|05M.xx2x||For use with SBE 19/19plus/19plus V2 (continuous duty)||For 19/19plus/19plus V2 in Profiling mode, pump runs continuously while sampling. For 19plus/19plus V2 in Moored mode, pump runs for 0.5 sec or more (depending on user setup) for each sample, & turns off between samples. Because SBE 19 family CTDs are generally intended for use as profiling instrument, they are usually integrated with SBE 5M with this Duty selection.|
|SBE 5M Pump Spares & Accessories (For cables to connect SBE 5M to Sea-Bird CTD, see CTD listing — SBE 16plus V2, 16plus-IM V2, 19plus V2.)|
|50062||Pump housing O-ring kit (document 67029)||
See Application Note 75: Maintenance of SBE 5T, 5P, and 5M Pumps for additional details & parts that may be needed for pump maintenance.
50391 includes: 30009 pump impeller, 30010 pump thrust washer, 30095 O-ring, 30571 O-ring, 31011 O-ring.
|50391||Pump impeller replacement kit (includes impeller, thrust washer, o-rings)|
|235357||SBE 5T/5M/5P Pump head (DN 235357)|
|23337||Air bleed valve, pump plumbing||
Air bleed valve (inside Y-fitting) allows air in plumbing to escape, for profiling CTD (SBE 19/19plus/19plus V2) deployed in vertical orientation. If pump motor turns on when there is air in impeller housing, priming is uncertain & proper flow rate cannot be ensured.
|30387||1/2" nylon hose barb Y-fitting|
|30388||Tygon tubing, 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD, 2 m — main plumbing||Main plumbing, attaches to pump, conductivity sensor, 1/2" nylon hose barb Y-fitting, etc.|
|31450||Tygon tubing, 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD, 2 m, Black — main plumbing, minimizes light exposure||31450 can be used in place of 30388 to minimize exposure to light, improving resistance to bio-fouling for moored applications. Sea-Bird uses black tubing on all moored instruments (SBE 16plus/16plus V2 and 16plus-IM/16plus-IM V2 CTDs) that are integrated with SBE 43 Dissolved Oxygen Sensor. Customers may field retrofit plumbing on existing systems.|
|30385||Tygon tubing, 1/4" ID X 3/8" OD, 2 m — part of conductivity cell filling/storage device PN 50087||30385 is part of conductivity cell filling & storage device (50087), connects syringe to plastic reducing union. See Application Note 34: Instructions for Use of Conductivity Cell Filling and Storage Device PN 50087 and 50087.1 & Application Note 2D: Instructions for Care and Cleaning of Conductivity Cells.|
Many cables, mount kits, and spare parts can be ordered online.
For SBE 16plus V2
- 17797 Y-cable to pump and data I/O, RMG/AG connectors, DN 31551
- 172220 Y-cable to pump and data I/O, Wet-pluggable connectors , DN 32896
For SBE 16plus
For SBE 16plus-IM V2 and 16plus-IM
For SBE 19plus V2 and old SBE 19 (not plus)
- 17709, Y-cable to pump and data I/O, RMG/AG connectors, DN 31551
- 171883 Y-cable to pump and data I/O, Wet-pluggable connectors, DN 32896
For SBE 19plus (not V2)
- 50126 SBE 5T, 5P, 5M, 43, or other 1.5-inch (3.81-cm) diameter housing to SBE 16/16plus/16plus-IM/16plus V2/16plus-IM V2, 19/19plus/19plus V2 or other 3.9-inch (9.9-cm) diameter housing Mount Kit
- 50062 Pump housing O-ring kit for SBE 5M (titanium or plastic housing), 5T, or 5P (document 67029)
- 23594 Pump end cap retainer
- 50391 Pump impeller replacement kit (includes impeller, O-rings, thrust washer; see Application Note 75: Maintenance of SBE 5T, 5P, and 5M Pumps)
- 235357 Pump head (black)
Note: 235357 (black pump head) replaced 23593 (white pump head) in November 2015, and is backwards compatible with 23593.
- 23337 Air bleed valve, pump plumbing — for profiling CTD deployed in vertical orientation
- 30387 1/2" nylon hose barb Y-fitting — for profiling CTD deployed in vertical orientation
- 23557 Quick disconnect connector, inserts into conductivity cell
- 23555 Quick disconnect connector, for 1/2" diameter tubing, receives tubing
- 30385 Tygon tubing, 1/4" ID X 3/8" OD, 2 m — part of conductivity cell filling/storage device PN 50087
- 30388 Tygon tubing, 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD, 2 m — main plumbing
- 31450 Tygon tubing, 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD, 2 m, Black — main plumbing, use to minimize exposure to light