Typical manufacturing cell
One of several calibration labs
Salinity checks in metrology lab
Sea-Bird Scientific is the world’s largest developer and manufacturer of products for the measurement of salinity, temperature, pressure, dissolved oxygen, fluorescence, nutrients and related oceanographic parameters in marine waters. These tools are used around the world by ocean researchers, resource managers, and key industries engaged in offshore exploration and ocean resource utilization. Our customers include research institutes, ocean observing programs, national and local government agencies, oil companies, engineering firms, environmental consulting businesses, and navies throughout the world. Our products are used in numerous critical environmental research and monitoring efforts that are deeply tied to our modern world. These studies include topics ranging from determining the ocean’s role in, and the associated impact from, climate changes, to the monitoring of environmental impacts of major episodic events such as oil spills and tsunamis.
At the Bellevue site, Sea-Bird Scientific's core products include: Conductivity/Temperature/Depth (CTD) profilers, multi-bottle in-situ water samplers, moored CT recorders, wave/tide recorders, dissolved oxygen sensors, and thermosalinographs (complete listing of products). In addition, we offer a new class of platforms and sensors to enable autonomous sampling of critical ocean parameters. As part of our commitment to advancing the science of ocean measurement, we are deeply invested in engineering, metrology, calibration, software development, scientific analysis, and other essential technologies that make our products more accurate, reliable, and broadly useful.
Founded in 1974, Sea-Bird Electronics was acquired by Danaher in 2008. After subsequent acquisition of WET Labs (2010) and Satlantic (2011), Sea-Bird Electronics and its two sister companies combined to form a new entity — Sea-Bird Scientific. By combining the three companies, Sea-Bird Scientific built unprecedented capabilities in providing best-of-class tools for monitoring of physical and biogeochemical variability in waters. Today Sea-Bird Scientific employs over 200 people in the US, Canada, and Europe in development, manufacture, calibration, sales, and support of our products.
In 2017, Sea-Bird Scientific reorganized to provide more focused support for its expanding customer base. We now provide products and services through a single Commercial Team with three functional units:
- The Sales Team has been reorganized to provide a regional focus with sales associates at three sites
- The Marketing Team is focused on providing key application information tailored to suit the varying needs of our different customer groups
- The Product Management Team is focused on understanding the evolution of customer needs and translating insights into new product features
Sea-Bird's senior leadership includes: Casey Moore (President); Dr. Tom Mitchell (Vice President Commercial Team); Dr. Nordeen (Norge) Larson (President Emeritus, Chief Science Advisor); Dr. Andrew Barnard (Chief Technology Officer); David Helwig (Vice President of Operations); and Mark Thorpe (Vice President of Finance and CFO). Key staff includes Dave Murphy (Director of Science); Calvin Lwin (Director of Sales), Geoff MacIntyre (Director of Marketing), and Nichole Halsey (Director of Product Management).
While Sea-Bird in Bellevue, Washington and its other locations in Philomath, Oregon and Halifax, Canada continues to shape our business to better serve our customers and the global science community as a whole, we remain firmly committed to the core attributes that built our companies.
- Sea-Bird Electronics: Small Beginnings, Global Impacts, Marine Technology Reporter, March 2012
- Company Spotlight, Ocean News & Technology, March 2008
- Sea-Bird webinar — Introduction to Sea-Bird, Long-Term Deployments with Moored CTDs, and CTD Profilers
- European calibration and repair center
- Integrity/Compliance Program: Please go to www.danaherintegrity.com for a copy of our Standards of Conduct or to make a report on the Danaher Integrity and Compliance Helpline.